The mistake of selflessness
Selflessness to me really means "running away from your self". Personally I choose to embrace my "self". I understand that the story of my life does not have to be a parody of what others dictate we are or should be but a public and private statement of who I am and mean to be. People seek some divine perfection in self denial and self sacrifice; a person though is only as perfect as they allow themselves to be. Like a great series of novels upon which we wait in baited excitement for each new installment, my life story is always growing and ever based on the truth of my past and the goals of my future. My past is set in stone, my future open to only my interpretation of who I am and will become by my own independent spirit, and never the dictates of another's beliefs of what I should be. I am the author of my story and the story is mine to tell, but the content is dictated by my experiences and shaped by my actions not random events or ethereal mists. Rather than slowly destroying your ego ( and therefore your "self") by burying it under a cumulative pile of mishmashed ideologies which slowly crush your individuality, try being yourself and standing up to the world. You may find that the world will respect you and respect is nothing to fear. Self denial and self sacrifice are the lowest forms of self immolation and only debase the glory of the human spirit, they do nothing to uphold it.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home